Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Asalaam Maleekum-

I have settled into my home stay in Thies, Senegal. I have been in country for almost three weeks now, but it feels like three months at least. I hope to keep these entries somewhat coherent, but I’m not making any promises…

So, as I mentioned, I am staying with a Senegalese family in the 2nd largest city in Senegal. The concept of ‘family’ is different than the American one. My family has 6 kids living in the house (and two more who live elsewhere). This is a typical family size here. Senegalese place as much value on the community as Americans place on the individual. The family eats lunch & dinner out of one communal bowl. There is a palpable feeling of unity that comes with every meal. Another example portraying the importance of community is the ubiquitous greetings. A simple Asalaam Maleekum, Nanga def?, and Ca va? earns a new friend anywhere in the country. As soon as I realized this, the foreigner feeling faded a bit.

The Senegalese are extremely welcoming people. Senegal is called Le Pays du Teranga, which means The Country of Hospitality, and this name is accurate. You will have to come here to experience what I mean- walk into a house during a meal and you will eat. When you think you are done, they will tell you to continue eating until you want to scream that you cannot physically fit anymore food in your stomach.

The hospitality and sense of community here are among the most beautiful things I have seen in any culture.

As for my obtuse ‘Senegalese’ life- I take a bus to the Peace Corps training center in town with my fellow PC trainees (we are not quite volunteers yet). Some of us have family members walk us to the bus stop, but unfortunately none of us get to bring sack lunches and trade for Nutter Butters. There are 48 trainees, which is quite a lot. Almost everyone is right out of college; I think I am in the older half of the group, which is ridiculous…but there are good people and we have a good time.

Africa is hot. It seems that the only time I’m not sweating is when I’m in the shower. It gets up to 95+ in my room every day. Whoever thought concrete would be an appropriate material with which to build houses in this climate should be condemned to an afterlife of perpetual midday in my room here. Concrete absorbs and then radiates heat, creating a nice oven, which serves to drain humans’ will to live. I’m hoping people are not lying when they tell me October was the hottest month of the year. The Senegalese are constantly complaining about the heat also, so I have faith that it will indeed cool off.

As for my current host family- My mother, Abby, is a very caring person and helps me with my infantile Wolof. The oldest son, Baba, is 24, and he just graduated from University in Algeria with an Electrical Engineering degree. Next oldest in the house is Ali, who is 18. Mami is the 16 yr. old girl who does the brunt of the housework and meal preparation. Elij is 13 and loves football (the real football, not American football). Bijou is a 7 yr old girl. And Aztu is a 2 yr. old cutie. Yesterday, she told me to come talk to my (Senegalese) mom, and to respect her. The Kane family is pretty rad and has welcomed me as one of their own.

Things are going well. I hope you all are doing the same.

Leegi leegi!

Pete

2 Comments:

At 4:50 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

YO WUTANG! I love reading about your experiences. Please repay hospitality with hospitality...Think about that, then live it!

 
At 4:51 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

YO WUTANG! I love reading about your experiences. Please repay hospitality with hospitality...Think about that, then live it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home